Tuesday, May 6, 2014

52 Ancestor's Challenge - Week 18 - Augusta Rheinfels - Celle, Germany to Chicago, IL

This weeks post is going to be short.  I don't have much information on this Rheinfels family, or Augusta herself.  Augusta was my 3rd great grandmother on my father's side.  Augusta Rheinfels was the wife of Wilhelm Grote.  They were the parents of my 2nd great grandmother, Caroline Grote Glesener (also known as Lina).  From a cousin of mine, I found their other children were Carl, Gussie, William, and Herman. 

The first record I found of her, was the 1900 Federal Census (found on Ancestry.com).  She was living with her daughter Lina, and Lina's family, at 454 Cornelia, Town of Lake View, City of Chicago, Illinois.  Augusta is shown as a widow, age 67, born August 1833 in Germany.  It also says she came to the U.S. in 1892, about 4 years after Lina.  Whether she came with Wilhelm, I'm not sure.  However, after a while, I was able to locate Augusta in the "Chicago, Illinois, City Directory, 1897" on Ancestry.com's "U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989."  She is listed as the widow of Wilhelm, and living at 585 Larrabee.  Her son Herman is shown as living at the same address in this directory.

I was able to get a copy of Augusta's death certificate.  She died February 8, 1905 at the residence of her daughter, Lina.  She was 69 years, 5 months, and 11 days, which puts her birth date as August 28, 1835.  The record says she was born in Germany, but it doesn't list a town.  Augusta was buried at St. Lucas Cemetery on February 11, 1905.

If you have any questions, or concerns, about any of the information listed above, please leave a comment. I'd be happy to provide any additional information. Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment