Monday, June 9, 2014

52 Ancestor's Challenge - Ida B. Haase, born 1868 in Prussia and died 1952 in Chicago, IL - Week 22

Ida B. Haase was my great, great grandmother on my father's side of the family.  According to her marriage certificate she was originally from "Gross Runow, H. Pommern."  I believe this was the small town of Gross Ruhnow, in the county of Stolp, in the old Prussian province of Hinterpommern (or Further Pommern in English).  At least that is what I was told when I questioned the place name on Ancestry.com's message boards. It is now known as Runowo, Poland.

Ida was born April 18, 1868, and was the daughter of Ludwig Haase and Justine Augusta Erdmann.  I believe her siblings were Adeline (b. 1860), Hulda (b. 1864), Augusta (b. 1870), Emma (b. 1871), Minnie (b. 1874), and Richard Ludwig (b. 1877).  The whole family came to the U.S. around 1878/1879.  There is a ship manifest for the Leipzig, found on
Ancestry.com, which arrived in Baltimore, Maryland on June 6, 1879.  It lists the entire household.  I only question it, because some of the children's ages were not written correctly, but the order and names are all the same.  The manifest states they were headed to Illinois, which is where they settled.

We can find the family in Chicago, IL in the 1880 Federal Census.  Everyone but Augusta is shown in the household.  Augusta may have passed away.

On May 10, 1890, Ida married John Martin Kutz in Chicago.  John was the son of Martin Kutz and Anna Draeger.  He was born in Chicago on June 18, 1861.  His parents were immigrants from Germany, just like Ida and her family, however they came to the U.S. in the late 1850s.
 
Ida with her children
Taken probably around 1896
Ida and John had 4 children: Elsie Justine (b. 1891) - she was my great-grandmother, Arthur Martin (b.1893), and twin daughters Emma Rose and Lillian Ruth (b. 1895).

The family stayed in the Chicago area.  According to the 1900 & 1910 Federal Censuses, they rented a house on Augusta Street.  By the 1920 Federal Census, they moved to 919 Washtenaw Avenue.  In 1930, they were living at 5017 Schubert Avenue.
 
The children of John and Ida Haase Kutz
Emma and Lillian (not sure who is who),
Arthur, and Elsie

On November 12, 1933, John Kutz passed away, and was buried at Concordia Cemetery in Chicago. Ida continued living at the house on Schubert with her son Arthur, who never married.  They are shown there on the 1940 Federal Census, along with Ida's daughter Lillian and Lillian's husband Ralph Hanson.

August 2, 1952, Ida passed away.  She was also buried at Concordia with her husband John.

Death certificate of Ida B. Haase Kutz
Ida with her grandson, Howard Arthur Glesener
and his daughter (her great-granddaughter), Judith Kathleen.
Probably taken around 1946.






















If you have any questions, or concerns, about the information in this post, please leave me a comment. I'd be happy to answer any questions, or share what information I have on the individuals listed above. Thanks for reading!!


***Just a quick note.  I meant to add this when I first wrote about Ida, but forgot.  Years ago when I first started researching my family, I came across an entry on Familysearch.org.  It showed a woman born in April 18, 1868 named Ida Bertha Haase and her parents, Ludwig Haase and Justine Erdmann.  It also stated she was Baptized in Schurow, Pommern, Prussia, on May 3, 1868.  I don't know where this information came from, but I do remember seeing it, and I made a note of it in my files.  I'm not sure if it was information added about them by another person, or if it was information from a record at one of the Latter Day Saints libraries.  I do have in my notes, that Schurow, Pommern, Prussia is now present day Skōrowo, Koszalin, Poland.  Looking on Google maps, the two areas are very near each other.  Routing it, it is only 11 kilometers between the two towns.  Unfortunately, I can't verify this.  I am unable to locate the link online at this present time.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment